Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Days 2 & 3.

I have officially stuck with something for two days. I know this doesn't sound very impressive, but trust me, it is. 

On Monday, I talked about my new manual of life: 31 Days to Clean and I am proud to say that I have done the first three challenges. The first Mary challenge was to come up with my mission statement (check) and the Martha challenge was to assess what cleaning supplies I would need with all of the upcoming tasks. Tada! I had everything. If I didn't have something bought at the store, I decided I'd look it up in my Green Clean book or It's Easy Being Green. Most of the supplies there are in the pantry already (score!). That part was easy. 

Yesterday stunk. I mean, not literally, but it was a close call. I was to clean out our refrigerator and freezer. For one, I'm paranoid that things are going spoil in the 30 minutes they may be out of the fridge/freezer. Like, paranoid. I freak out the entire time so I scrub vigorously. 

The freezer ended up being easy. The fridge? Not so much. You see, my husband does the grocery shopping (he protects me from the grocery store, which I hate) and so I don't really pay attention to the fridge. Dumb. Dumb, Jessica, dumb. I found some sticky salmonella-looking stuff in the back on one shelf...only...it was the lower shelf, so it runs under the drawers as well. Gross. I took out drawers, found something that once was lettuce (yes, he had to tell me what it had been), and cleaned out a drawer with something vinegar-based in it. How do I know it was vinegar-based? I was cleaning with baking soda and water. Yes, it started bubbling. Ew. 

On to Day 3...ugh. 


Today's Mary challenge was to talk to my family (husband) about how he feels the most loved in our home, domestically speaking. He said he likes it when I decorate because I take the time to make things look nice (score- my favorite) and when I do the laundry. Good. I'm anal retentive and need to be in control of it. Trust issues. I need professional help. That part was awesome. Two strengths! 


Martha challenge? Well, it lived up to its name in terms of the word "challenge". I was to wipe down the tops of all shelves, cabinets, refrigerator, and shine up the outside. I thought I was being SUPER industrious because I realized my relatively newly-painted cabinets didn't really need shining. Score. Then I wiped around all of the door/drawer knobs because of dirty hands. Obviously, the cabinets around the stove/sink were gross, so they needed to be wiped off. I got SO ahead of myself, I even cleaned off the oven door (a.k.a. new cat mirror). Go, me! Not. I was still rolling along when it came to our four relatively-new open shelves. These are clearly all things I never wrote about...maybe one day. I rinsed all of the things sitting out, laid them out to dry, cleaned off shelves, and tomorrow I'll set the stuff up. Easy peasy. 


On to the refrigerator top! 


WHAT. THE. WHAT. This was literally the worst ever. The top, in places, was brown. This causes stress and frustrating in my world (not to mention the giant vase of flowers that fell on the floor- in a plastic vase- with water going EVERYWHERE while I was up on a stool). It took me AT LEAST the same amount of time to wipe down the top of the fridge as it did to do the rest of the kitchen. Our kitchen, mind you, is tiny in terms of cabinet space. Our fridge top is PACKED with stuff. This would've been a great place for a before/after because it was brown/gray in areas. Now it's sparkly & white! Hooray! 


I honestly would've rather drilled holes through my eyeballs than do this stuff, but it's worth it. I figure if I'm 3 days in to a 31 day plan (and day 31 is to Rest!), then I'm 10% of the way there! Hooray! Hopefully, tomorrow won't make me want to burn my house down instead of cleaning it. Day 4! Woop woop!




Click here to visit Sarah Mae.





No comments:

Post a Comment